Friday, November 18, 2011

The "Humane" Death Penalty

Well, now here's an interesting slant on the death penalty. A liberal friend of mine is FOR the death penalty. In the same sentence he also says that as a liberal he is most assuredly against cruel and unusual punishment.

His feeling is that sitting locked away in prison for 25 or 30 years is much more cruel than execution by lethal injection. He is willing to allow a period of three years for appeals and then it's needle time.

I must say that I have never thought of the death penalty in this way but when you think about it, it kind of makes sense.

Now, I'm a little different. I'm not much of an anti cruel and unusual punishment sort of guy. I am more of a punishment should fit the crime type person. In fact I could support doing away with the death penalty entirely if the alternative was life in prison under the most horrible of circumstances........working 18 hours a day, in 100 degree heat, making little rocks out of big rocks with a sledge hammer. Now that's REAL punishment!

Since such a prison here in the US will never see the light of day, I am much more accepting of more traditional types of capital punishment such as hanging, the guillotine, and the electric chair. I would be in favor of public executions. Let everyone see what will happen if you murder or rape someone. Hell, put it on TV. Charge admission! Use the proceeds to compensate families of victims.

Oh, GROUCH! You've done it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment