Thursday, March 22, 2012

Is Peyton Manning Worth 98 Million???


Well the last I heard, Peyton Manning will be a Denver Bronco. As I expected, there was a lot of whining and moaning on Facebook from Titan fans. One of them was moaning about him making 98 million dollars. I didn’t read up on it so I don’t know if that was the amount but this particular person was really stressed over this, saying that nobody was worth that much. I can’t help but wonder if she would have felt the same if Peyton had become a Titan.

I personally have no problem with Peyton or any quarterback making that kind of money. If he can get it, more power to him. If I along with a handful of others was capable of performing some really remarkable task and there was a huge market for it, could I make that kind of money? Sure could. There are only a handful of people in the whole world who can do what Manning does and he may arguably be the best that has ever played. To be able to take a snap, survey the field for open receivers, deliver an accurate throw 20, 30, or 40 yards down the field, in a period of 2 to 3 seconds while well over 1000 pounds of sweaty, mean, ugly, defensive linemen are charging at you and trying to take your head off is quite a remarkable task.

The NFL is big money and big business. Think of all the sponsors that bring you the weekly games. They have products to sell. They want lots of people watching the games. They want people to be excited. What creates more excitement than one of the Manning brothers, a Drew Brees, an Aaron Rogers, or a Tom Brady?

Are these guys worth it? Perhaps not to the average individual, but to the giant business machine that is the NFL and sports TV, you bet they are.

As I told my disgruntled Facebook friend, it’s just CAPITALISM, pure and simple.
Thanks for the spending money, fellas

No comments:

Post a Comment