Sunday, May 13, 2012

The GROUCH Discusses Gay Marriage

A Facebook friend of mine, Jack, put the following post on his Facebook page. Rather than comment there, I decided to steal his post and make a new post for the Grouch. Here is Jack’s original post:

I've got to ask...
To those of you who so staunchly oppose the idea of gays being allowed to enter into a binding, government recognized, contractual union that would grant them the same rights and protections of survivorship, communal property, and tax and insurance advantages shared by heterosexuals in the same contractual union.
Why or how does it really affect your life? 

My response: 

Well, Jack, let’s look at it this way. Suppose John Jones is an active young man. John has 4 girlfriends and they all shack up together in the same house, sharing the food, the chores, the rent, and all having consensual sex together (I’ll leave it up to you to decide who’s doing whom). Is there a law against this? Does anybody care? I could care less.

Suppose one day, John decides he wants to MARRY all 4 of the girls! Oh, no, can’t do that! Polygamy is against the law. But wait, Jack, why should we be staunchly opposed to these people being allowed to enter into a binding, government recognized, contractual union that would grant them the same rights and protections of survivorship, communal property, and tax and insurance advantages shared by monogamous individuals in the same contractual union?
 Why or how does it really affect your life? 

Actually there is no difference between gay marriage and polygamy from a purely libertarian point of view and yet we don’t seem to hear anyone championing the idea of polygamy. 

The fact of the matter is that the United States was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. The heathens and atheists out there may not like that very much but that does not change the fact. At least in the beginning our laws were based on these principles and over the years society has determined which laws and morals we should live by. 

I happen to believe that the Bible is clear that homosexuality is an abomination in the sight of God. Does this mean that I am going to go around throwing Molotov cocktails into the homes of homosexuals? No, not at all. On the contrary, I could care less what gay people do as long as they don’t force me to celebrate their gayness with them, force their gay beliefs on my children, or force me to attend their gay pride parades. Any judgments passed upon these folks will be done by Almighty God. It’s not up to me and I’m glad. 

I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. I am comfortable with that belief. It is what the Bible teaches. It is what society has decided as the standard since the founding of the country. If I suddenly declared that gay marriage, polygamy, marrying my favorite goat, or any other type of union was legal, then I would be forsaking the teaching of the Bible and what I believe to be morally true, and furthermore I would be taking a minority position against the majority will of the people in the country.

Even Barack Obama swerves into the truth once in a while. He did when he declared the issue of gay marriage should be left up to the states. He said this just to try and cover his butt politically, but he is correct. The majority of states have already affirmed that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. As far as I am concerned the majority has spoken. 

I figure the day will come when the minority attempts to force it’s will upon the majority through the Supreme Court, take the power away from the states, and make the minority opinion the law of the land as they did with Roe vs. Wade……another issue which should have been left up to the states. 

Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment