Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thoughts About George McGovern

Well, the flaming liberal senator from South Dakota, George McGovern passed away last week. I had not thought much about McGovern since he lost the 1972 presidential election to Nixon 520 to 17 electoral votes.

Nixon was my first vote for president. The main reason I liked Nixon was that he was making strides toward getting us out of Vietnam. Had it not been for a lottery number of 326, I could have been drafted and ended up in that awful place.

I had not thought of this until now, but McGovern was the first looney liberal I voted against. I don't really remember a lot of the specifics of McGovern. I was young then and had a lot of other stuff on my mind, but I do remember that I did not buy most of the balderdash he was spewing.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that McGovern was a war hero. He piloted a B-24 on 35 missions over Nazi held Europe and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. For his service and heroism, I honor him and humbly thank him. This fully indicates though that military service does not necessarily qualify someone for the presidency, nor does the lack of it disqualify a candidate.

In any case, George, I hope you find peace in the afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment